Tomorrow, Wednesday November 20, 2013 is the statewide day of action in New Mexico to take back the joy of learning, time for teaching and professionalism in public education.
In schools across New Mexico, education employees will wear black to express outrage against the Governor’s policies that are failing our schools, our students and our state, including the new teacher evaluation system which is largely based on standardized test scores. Teachers in many communities will also hold marches, rallies and other actions engaging New Mexicans.
“We are not afraid of tests — we invented them. But the imposed teacher evaluation system is about using tests to punish educators, rather than help students.” Says NEA-New Mexico President Betty Patterson. “In many New Mexico public schools, a culture of over-testing and high-stakes testing is killing effective teaching and learning, Focusing on tests hasn’t increased test scores, but it is destroying educator’s morale and stressing our students.” Says Stephanie Ly President of AFT-New Mexico.
NEA and AFT Actions Statewide Include:
- Bernalillo: BPS District Office: 560 S. Camino Del Pueblo, Bernalillo, 4:00 until dusk. Contact: NEA-Bernalillo President Jennifer Trujillo, 505-503-5636
- Carlsbad: Rally at District Office, 3000 W. Church, 4:30. Contact: NEA-Carlsbad President Rosemary Carrasco 575-361-0554
- Hobbs: Rally at Broadmore Mall, 1401 North Turner, 4:30. Contact: NEA-Hobbs President Karla Humphrey 575-631-2449
- Roswell: Rally at Court House at 4:30, Contact: Roswell Education Association Teacher Quality Advocate, Teresa Naggs 575-291-9447
- Deming: Rally Luna County Courthouse, 700 S. Silver from 4:30-5:30. Contact: Susie de la Torre 575-494-5251
- Alamogordo: Local actions are planned: Contact: NEA-Alamogordo President Vandy Pan Ancken 575-430-1024
- Lovington: Individual school rallies, at the close of the duty day. Contact NEA-Lovington President Yazmin Izquierdo 575-704-9609
- Santa Fe: Offices of the N.M. Public Education Department, 300 Don Gaspar. Gather at 4:45, Rally at 5:00. Contact: NEA-Santa Fe Communications Chair: Todd Hansen, 505-310-2411
- Las Cruces: Near district offices, 505 S. Main Street. Contact NEA-Las Cruces President Patrick Sanchez, 575-571-3081
- Belen: 4:00 March, on Main Street close to the Belen school district central office, Contact NEA-Belen President Tarla Hill 505-269-3095
- Rio Rancho: March and Rally at Southern Blvd and Hwy. 528, 3:30 Contact Rio Rancho School Employee Union President Steve Eisenberg 505-259-9632
- Grant County: Rally 4:15 to 5:30 Gough Park, Contact NEA-Cobre President Cheryl Holland, 575-313-4343