If you are a senior citizen the Affordable Care Act, or “Obamacare’ is good for you too. Some of the health care reforms are already working for you. For example, if you fall into the Medicare “donut hole,” the costs of prescription medicines have already been reduced. By 2020 the “donut hole” will be completely eliminated.
- Medicare coverage is protected: Under the health care law, your existing Medicare-covered benefits won’t be reduced or taken away. You don’t have to replace your Medicare coverage with Marketplace coverage. For questions about Medicare, visit Medicare.gov, call 1-800-MEDICARE or TTY: 1-877-486-2048.
- Save money on drugs: If you’re in the prescription drug “donut hole”, you’ll get more than 50% off when buying Part D-covered brand-name prescription drugs. You save on generics too. The donut hole will be closed completely by 2020.
- Get more preventive care, for less: Under the health care law, Medicare now covers certain preventive services, like mammograms or colonoscopies, without charging you for the Part B coinsurance or deductible. You also can get a free yearly “Wellness” visit.
- Get the latest information: Visit the Individuals & Families page at HealthCare.gov and sign up for email updates.
If you’re an older American younger than age 65 and need health care coverage, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, or “Obamacare,’ is great news for you too.
Starting January 1, 2014, if you already have health insurance coverage, you gain new protections. If you already have health care coverage, keep it. If you don’t have coverage, and your are under 65, or not eligible for Medicare, you can buy insurance in the marketplace.
Whether you’re uninsured, you’ve been denied coverage in the past, or you just want to explore new options, the Health Insurance Marketplace will give you more choice and control over your health coverage. The Marketplace will operate in all states, including here in New Mexico, so no matter where you live you’ll have access to coverage—with more choices, and lower costs—than ever before.
- The Health Insurance Marketplace: If you’re under 65 and don’t have Medicare or Medicaid coverage,you can find coverage and pricing options in the Health Insurance Marketplace. You may qualify for savings on your monthly premiums or lower out-of-pocket costs for private insurance.
- New Coverage Options: In the Marketplace, insurance companies won’t be able to deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
- Choose your doctor: In the Marketplace, you can choose from any primary care provider in your health plan’s network without a referral.
- Save money: You may qualify for lower costs on your monthly premiums or out-of-pocket costs for private insurance.
- Women can’t be charged more for health coverage than men. The Marketplace will also let you know if you qualify for coverage under Medicaid.
- Get more preventive care, for less: Many insurance companies are now required to cover preventive care for free.
Learn more about the Affordable Care Act, also called ‘Obamacare’
- www.HealthCare.gov — the health insurance marketplace
- www.GetCoveredAmerica.org — a nonprofit, nonpartisan campaign of Enroll America
HealthReform — a White House website
- www.HHS.gov/HealthCare — a U.S. Health and Human Services website
Learn more about the Affordable Care Act, or ‘Obamacare,’ at our Obamacare Resource Center. Click Here.