The New Mexico Federation of Labor (NMFL) along with a coalition of business and community groups announce a statewide Labor Day tour featuring performance art, poetry and music. “The Salt of the Earth Tour” is a 6 city, three-day event that will bring the true meaning of Labor Day to the people of New Mexico in a fun family environment.
Jon Hendry, President of NMFL said, “Many people think of Labor Day as just another three day holiday, but it’s our chance to celebrate working people and labor’s contribution to this country. We want to entertain and educate people.”
The Joe West Trio headlines “The Salt of the Earth Tour,” performing spirited renditions of classic workers’ songs important to labor history and tradition. Albuquerque’s Poet Laureate, Hakim Bellamy brings his exquisite style of social justice oriented lyrical poetry to new audiences on the tour. Local street performers of all styles and special musical guests will create a festive environment for all to enjoy. The seminal New Mexican Labor film, “Salt of the Earth” will screen at each tour stop. Local progressive groups will be present at each event to connect with each other and with new audiences about their work.
Beginning in Southern New Mexico, in Las Cruces and in Truth or Consequences on Saturday August 31, the midpoint of the festivities will be held in Albuquerque and Corrales on Sunday September 1, with the full culmination of the traveling festival landing in Santa Fe on Monday September 2, ending in a finale blow-out that night in Taos!
It’s time to “Rock” & talk while New Mexico talent and artists work to entertain and engage YOU!
- Saturday, August 31, 12:00-2:00pm – Las Cruces, Young Park
- Saturday, August 31, 7:00-9:00 pm – Truth or Consequences, Grapes Gallery, 407 Main Street
- Sunday, September 1, 1:00-3:00 pm – Corrales, Corrales Bistro, 4908 Corrales Rd.
- Sunday, September 1, 5:00-7:00 pm – Albuquerque, Nob Hill, Amherst and Central
- Monday September 2, 12:00-300 pm – Santa Fe Street Festival, Taos Street (Behind Youthworks! and the Center for Progress and Justice)
- Monday September 2, 7:00-9:00 pm -Taos, Taos Mesa Brewing Co., 20 ABC Mesa Rd.